Have you done everything in your power to make your pet’s life a happy one?
Mostly it´s up to you to make sure that your pet’s needs are met.
Here are six easy steps you can do to make sure that your pet has a better life:
1. Make sure your pet has it’s ID tag. The ID tag tells where your pet lives and of any medical conditions your pet may have. If your pet wanders off, it may be the only thing standing between your pet and the pound!
2. Prevent behavioral problems by enrolling your pet in a behavior training class before it acquires any bad habits. This tip will make both you and your pet happier for the entire lifetime you are together!
3. Get your pet a check up from a vet at least once a year. Some behavior problems can be health related and taking your pet to the vet on a regular basis will help you with tip # 2.
4. Prepare for disasters. Your pet cannot read the escape plan you have made for your family in case of a flood, fire, or other disaster! Make sure your escape plans include someone in your family having the job of securing or gathering up and removing your pet(s) from your home and taking them to a safe place.
5. Plan for the future. Who will take care of your pet if something happens to you? Make sure you have a “godparent” for all of your pets. This includes short term care as well if you are in the hospital, incapacitated, or out of town.
6. Learn to avoid dog bites by training your dog and your family. This is especially important for children. Every year 4.7 million children are bitten by dogs. 80% are by dogs they know and have been in daily contact with! See http://nodogbites.org for more information and how to videos. The site is part of The Humane Society web site.
There you have it!
Six simple steps to keep you and your pets happy for a long, long time.